Friday, April 22, 2011

Tandem with 24" wheels.

 

Tandem with 24" wheels.


With this one I decided to lay back the seat posts, so I cut off and shortened the top wheel stays,

then I cut a vee in the seat tube just above the bottom bracket, I then bent the seat tube backwards

and left about 50 mm clearance off the wheel I then welded the shortened top wheel stays back in position, and welded the seat tube in place.

The next step was to set up the front bottom bracket and seat tube I decided to do the bottom brackets at 560mm centres I then cut and set the rear top tube between the rear seat post and the front seat post. So with the frame sitting on the bench I measured up from the bench 250 mm

and this is the height of the top tube. I used the original front frame and removed the top tube

I then made a gusset tube triangle to weld into the corner of the head tube and bottom tube

which gives it additional strength and improves the head tube appearance, this was then set up on the bench with the front forks in position to set the height and welded to the front bottom bracket. The next step was to put in the front top tube, I had a problem here non of the spare pieces of bike tube where long enough.

So I used a piece of ERW tube the same diameter as the rear top tube set and welded into position.

Then all the welds where finished. This completes the basic frame, and is ready for clean up.

I still need to fit wheels, cranks, timing chain to weld on adjuster sprocket bracket.

Then I can etch prime the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment